26.9.11

Happy Jars and Button Trees



EV stayed with Neenee and Poppop for the weekend. She made me a lovely special surprise present of a button tree. She chose every button, cut the thread and sewed through one button hole, and Neenee helped her do the rest. It now has pride of place on the kitchen noticeboard.

Apparently EV was a perfect nearly 3 year old for her grandparents and they had a lovely weekend. I think that that deserves another ball in the Happy Jar (as its now become known).


We are trialing a new behaviour modification training system, called the "Happy Jar". I decided to try this system after the naughty corner/step didn't really work. After EV had been on the naughty step and had apologized, etc she would go back and sit there again. When I asked her why she was back sitting there she would say she liked sitting there. So now we use the jars. Its a pretty simple concept and EV is very into it. If she does something really well, or thoughtful she can choose a ball to add to the Happy Jar. But if she does something naughty or unhelpful one of the balls is taken from the happy jar and put into the Sad Jar. We are all looking forward to when the Happy Jar is full and EV can choose a treat.

In the mean time EV often tells me "My sad jar makes me happy!". It makes me happy too!

No comments: